Sunday, September 15, 2013

Kano Dye Pits and Kurmi Market

yaya gida? (how is your home?)

I got the chance to go to the Dye Pits and Kurmi Market! The Dye Pits are over 500 years old (I'm told). The only color used is a rich blue, and they tie the fabric with string to make symbols representing different things (the Emir's palace, Kano's pillars etc). I bought one blanket at the Kurmi market, but I plan to go back after checking out all my options!


Please enjoy the photos.


A lighter blue takes 1 hour of dunking and a deep blue takes 3 hours!


Dye Pits
Dye Pits dye lasts for 1 year


One of my favorite cloth patterns. 
Oh! The traffic. 
There's a settlement right next to the dye pits.


Oldest Mosque in Kano


One of the (many) entrances to the Emir's Palae
Emir's Palace

One of the gates within the palace


To get a 'shiny' fabric you have to bang the fabric for hours

My first fabric from the Kurmi Market!

Masks at the Kurmi Market
The shop where I purchased my blanket.





Lots of spices
The market is hundreds of small shops
Some of the many patterns


Traditional bracelets
How the fabric takes on the unique patterns

One of the traditional Hausa homes




No comments:

Post a Comment